Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: RFC: Proposed relocation of /var/lib/rpm
  • From: Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2017 09:36:04 -0400
On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 3:47 AM, Richard Brown <RBrownCCB@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Thanks everyone for the feedback so far

The vast majority of feedback seems to not object to the idea of
moving the rpmdb out of /var, but there is obviously a fair bit of
concern that /usr/share is not the correct place for it

We don't want to 'double book' /usr/lib/rpm which is already in use by
rpm, but I can definitely see the logic of having it in /usr/lib

Therefore my proposal now is that we'll use /usr/lib/rpmdb as the new
location for the rpmdb location, and I'm changing my patchset
accordingly.

Speaking as someone who often has to integrate with rpm and introspect
things like rpmdb, I don't particularly love the idea of yet another
path for where it could be.

Frankly, I get why you want this. I've rolled my own btrfs setups for
about two years now on Fedora, and I can easily understand why you
want to relocate the rpmdb to simplify the mess that is /var
subvolumes.

That said, I'd rather see us use a common alternate path. Currently
that is /usr/share/rpm, which I don't love because it makes things
really annoying for some of the work I'm doing. I don't mind
/usr/lib/rpmdb so much, but I would rather see this be the common
alternate path used. Which means, I'd like you to convince Colin
Walters to migrate the rpmdb in RPM-OSTree / Project Atomic setups to
this location *before* doing this.

My reason is simple: Tools and libraries that interface with the rpmdb
need to know where it is. The more places it could possibly be, the
harder it is to deal with. Keep in mind, also, that rpm now has three
rpmdb backends that could be used (even though libsolv is broken with
two of them...). In fact, libsolv is *already* aware of
/usr/share/rpm, since it directly manipulates the rpmdb.

There's a lot of assumptions that you're breaking by moving the rpmdb,
and because the SUSE rpmdb is on a writable filesystem, it's actually
possible for it to be important.

Let's not make this harder for everyone, please?