[opensuse-factory] gnome-shell is ignored by systemd-coredump
  • From: Andrei Dziahel <develop7@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2017 15:05:45 +0300
Hi list,

So I'm suffering from g-s segfaults every so often, which sometimes
result in putting user session or even whole system down (doesn't
react to SysRq keys as well; yes, they are enabled). In order to
provide useful bug report I'm supposed to provide at least a backtrace
extracted from core dumps, right? It's so great to know we're already
covered — core files are conveniently collected by systemd-coredump.
Except, well, that's not the case for the gnome-shell: thanks to core
size set to zero for this particular process (and its' parent
gnome-session-binary; ), systemd-coredump refuses to dump its' core
(see http://paste.opensuse.org/77024771).

True, I am able to collect backtrace by manually attaching to
gnome-shell by hand with gdb and actually telling it to show the
backtrace; but honestly, this is tedious and g-s crashes much more
often than I can afford attaching gdb again and again.

In the meantime, googling the relevant parts of backtrace
(https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/attachment.cgi?id=742663) revealed a
twin brother of the crash of mine at
https://retrace.fedoraproject.org/faf/reports/1729548/ (except version
numbers: I've got 3.26 vs 3.24 in Fedora). It also implies core dumps
of gnome-shell weren't disabled by upstream, but by openSUSE.

Which poses the question: how can I have automated g-s core dumps
back? And, for sake of curiosity, how and why were they even disabled
at all?

Thank you in advance.
--
Regards,