Re: [opensuse-factory] RFC: Proposed relocation of /var/lib/rpm
On Thu, Oct 05, Manfred Hollstein wrote:

I look at this topic from a completely different angle (though it might
be related to the view of btrfs maintainers/users caring for how the
file system is structured): I always put /var on a separate partition,
nowadays living on a rotating disk (actually two disks combined into one
raid1) to ensure the ssd hosting the root file system doesn't get
written to too frequently.

I know, every cheap computer magazine is telling you, that you have
to avoid writing to SSDs, but that's only true for cheap SSDs.

If you don't have a really cheap SSD, it's very unlikely that you
will see the end-of-life of your SSD during your life by only updating
/usr including the rpmdb. Most likely you will buy a newer one because
your current one will be too small.

Thorsten