Re: [opensuse-factory] RFC: Proposed relocation of /var/lib/rpm
On 2017-10-05 16:05, Manfred Hollstein wrote:
On Thu, 05 Oct 2017, 15:47:39 +0200, Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar wrote:
On Thu, 2017-10-05 at 15:42 +0200, Manfred Hollstein wrote:
I look at this topic from a completely different angle (though it
might
be related to the view of btrfs maintainers/users caring for how the
file system is structured): I always put /var on a separate
partition,
nowadays living on a rotating disk (actually two disks combined into
one
raid1) to ensure the ssd hosting the root file system doesn't get
written to too frequently. While I can bind-mount any directory from
/usr to the rotating disk, I agree with other posters that /usr
doesn't
sound right. I admit this doesn't help at all with the
snapshot/rollback
issue, though. Nevertheless, I thought this point of view might help
with the whole discussion, too.

I don't understand you argument here: you will write the rpmdb about as
often as you write other stuff to /usr anyway, as this happens when you
install/update/remove packages... hence having it in /usr does not
cause really a higher write load to your ssd

what exactly did you try to convey?

_avoiding the traffic to rpmdb_?!?

rpmdb benefits a lot from being on an SSD, for read. And it is not
written to that often.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.