Re: [opensuse-factory] RFC: Proposed relocation of /var/lib/rpm
On 10/04/2017 02:59 PM, Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar wrote:
On Wed, 2017-10-04 at 14:37 +0200, Marcus Rueckert wrote:
tbh ... /etc/rpm/db would be a path i could live with ...
/usr/share/rpm
feels wrong to me. this is a path where i would expect static data.

/etc feels wrong in different ways: the rpm db is not any file we
expect an admin to go fiddle and change content of it

Most correct would likely be /usr/lib/something - but what is the
benefit over /usr/share (except improved feeling) compared to being
able to share patchwork with another distro?

The way I see it, /usr/lib is for code (according to the FHS, "object files
and libraries") and /usr/share is for data ("architecture independent data
files"). So it makes more sense that a database is stored under /usr/share,
just as /usr/share/mime/mime.cache and probably others. Also it has the
side-benefit that we would use the same location than RedHat.

So, another vote for /usr/share .

--
Antonio Larrosa