Re: [opensuse-factory] RFC: Proposed relocation of /var/lib/rpm
On Wed, 2017-10-04 at 10:47 -0400, Anton Aylward wrote:
On 04/10/17 08:05 AM, Richard Brown wrote:
On 4 October 2017 at 13:38, Carlos E. R. <robin.listas@telefonica.n
et> wrote:
On 2017-10-04 13:16, Richard Brown wrote:
For systems with a read-write rootfs, we will be slightly
bending the
rules of the FHS, in the sense that the FHS claims /usr should
be
'read-only data'

What about machines that share /usr from a central machine over
the network?

Putting the rpmdb in /usr/share is no worse than the current
situation

Right now machines sharing /usr from a central machine over the
network are going to have an rpmdb that will contain an invalid
picture of the contents of /usr

That's a ridiculous straw-man argument, Richard.

/usr/share was INTENDED quitre clearly and is there in the file
ssytem
definition/description to that end.
Hi

And if I understand correctly, in such usecase machines sharing
/usr/share have to be running basically identical system, and I would
guess that they would be deployed via other means than by system
installer - thus having rpm database in this location would not change
much.

Also I wonder if such usage is supported by openSUSE.

Cheers

Martin