Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: RFC: Proposed relocation of /var/lib/rpm
On 10/04/2017, 07:23 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:
Richard Brown writes:
Red Hat had a similar problem with their rpm-ostree tooling, which
they solved by relocating the RPM database to /usr/share/rpm

https://rpm-ostree.readthedocs.io/en/latest/#why-not-implement-these-changes-in-an-existing-package-manager

I would like to propose we adopt the same location for rpmdb in all
*SUSE distributions

Following a precedent might be a good idea, but /usr/share/rpm just
feels wrong. I think /usr/share should contain only architecture
independent data and the rpm database for any concrete installation just
isn't.

Are you so sure? This machine was running fedora i386 (cloned from
another machine's HDD via dd), fedora i586, fedora 64-bit and for quite
some time opensuse 64-bit too. Still with the original "i386" rpmdb. I
never reinstalled in the past decade. So I really do not share your point.

thanks,
--
js
suse labs