[opensuse-factory] Re: RFC: Proposed relocation of /var/lib/rpm
  • From: Achim Gratz <Stromeko@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2017 19:23:43 +0200
Richard Brown writes:
Red Hat had a similar problem with their rpm-ostree tooling, which
they solved by relocating the RPM database to /usr/share/rpm

https://rpm-ostree.readthedocs.io/en/latest/#why-not-implement-these-changes-in-an-existing-package-manager

I would like to propose we adopt the same location for rpmdb in all
*SUSE distributions

Following a precedent might be a good idea, but /usr/share/rpm just
feels wrong. I think /usr/share should contain only architecture
independent data and the rpm database for any concrete installation just
isn't. Another option would be /usr/lib/rpm (which already exists and
is quite crowded), but I personally would rather go for a new directory
branch along the lines of /usr/sys/rpm or /usr/inst/rpm (rpm might not
be the only thing that has that problem).

Regards,
Achim.

Samples for the Waldorf Blofeld: