Re: [opensuse-factory] RFC: Proposed relocation of /var/lib/rpm
On 04/10/17 11:01 AM, Thorsten Kukuk wrote:
Indeed!
This was the original purpose of /usr/share and many today still use it that
way, consolidating centrally thing like the manual pages that apply EQUALLY
all machines.

/usr/share is only for exact identically installations. The FHS clearly
states that /usr/share is not shareable between different versions.

Ah, we have a subtle semantic shift here.
That was what I meant by "equally".

Different architectures, different revisions, are not 'equal'.

If you look to, for example the repositories for any distribution or the Packman
repository at http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/packman/suse/ you can see that they
accommodate "others". But my zypp.conf only uses one of those.

And it gets better. Go up one level and Packman addressesdebian, fedora and
ubuntu as well.

Why would you imagine a server dishing out, for example, man pages, to be any
less capable?