Re: [opensuse-factory] RFC: Proposed relocation of /var/lib/rpm
Richard Brown wrote:
Currently, rpm stores its rpmdb (the record of all a systems packages)
in /var/lib/rpm

Various openSUSE & SUSE distributions have a number of problems with this

This has a major impact on our default btrfs snapshot & rollback feature.
We need the contents of the rpmdb contained within the snapshots.
[...]
Red Hat had a similar problem with their rpm-ostree tooling, which
they solved by relocating the RPM database to /usr/share/rpm

Even though preferring share/ over lib/ feels counter intuitive to
me I think it's a detail. The overall idea to move the rpm database
to /usr makes a lot of sense. Nowadays /usr is meant to contain
basically of all of the operating system. So the manifest of what
constitutes the operating system fits there too.

cu
Ludwig

--
(o_ Ludwig Nussel