Re: [opensuse-factory] RFC: Proposed relocation of /var/lib/rpm
On 04/10/17 08:05 AM, Richard Brown wrote:
On 4 October 2017 at 13:38, Carlos E. R. <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 2017-10-04 13:16, Richard Brown wrote:
For systems with a read-write rootfs, we will be slightly bending the
rules of the FHS, in the sense that the FHS claims /usr should be
'read-only data'

What about machines that share /usr from a central machine over the network?

Putting the rpmdb in /usr/share is no worse than the current situation

Right now machines sharing /usr from a central machine over the
network are going to have an rpmdb that will contain an invalid
picture of the contents of /usr

That's a ridiculous straw-man argument, Richard.

/usr/share was INTENDED quitre clearly and is there in the file ssytem
definition/description to that end.

No such for /usr

If the share is read-only the rpm install will likely fail.

100% true.
And /usr/share being shared across machines, NFS or CIFS, is going to be read
only for most of them.

Heck, even when we had the old SU way of 'hoteling' and pretty dumb
workstations where almost everyting was NFS, particualr the /home/$USER, it was
the /etc/ that was ALWAYS machine-local and machine-specific.

With this proposed change any user with root access to a machine
accessing a shared /usr will change the contents of /usr and update
the (now shared) rpmdb

Which is why it should NOT be under /usr/share specifically.
And why the database should be in a non-shared, machine specific location.