Re: [opensuse-factory] RFC: Proposed relocation of /var/lib/rpm
On 4 October 2017 at 16:38, Anton Aylward <opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 04/10/17 07:38 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 2017-10-04 13:16, Richard Brown wrote:
For systems with a read-write rootfs, we will be slightly bending the
rules of the FHS, in the sense that the FHS claims /usr should be
'read-only data'

What about machines that share /usr from a central machine over the network?

Indeed!
This was the original purpose of /usr/share and many today still use it that
way, consolidating centrally thing like the manual pages that apply EQUALLY to
all machines.

And in that situation, how do you ensure that the manual pages you're
sharing are accurate for the version of binaries on the machines?
(especially on openSUSE where we have lots of binaries that aren't in
/usr atm).