Re: [opensuse-factory] RFC: Proposed relocation of /var/lib/rpm
On Wednesday 2017-10-04 15:17, Thorsten Kukuk wrote:

tbh ... /etc/rpm/db would be a path i could live with ...
/usr/share/rpm
feels wrong to me. this is a path where i would expect static data.

/etc feels wrong in different ways: the rpm db is not any file we
expect an admin to go fiddle and change content of it

Most correct would likely be /usr/lib/something - but what is the
benefit over /usr/share (except improved feeling) compared to being
able to share patchwork with another distro?

/usr is more or less static for me. no modified data in it. /etc/ is
configuration at least.

The RPM database is as static as any other file in /usr. It is only
modified, if you modify files in /usr.

So that must have been the reason we had --sharedstatedir=/usr/com! ;-)

openSUSE:Factory/rpm/rpm.changes
Wed Jul 5 16:28:46 CEST 2017 - ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx

- Define %_sharedstatedir as /var/lib, which is the path for
shared state content in Red Hat/Fedora; Mageia; and Debian/Ubuntu.
The old path (/usr/com) isn't recognized by FHS, whereas /var/lib
is recognized as suitable for this purpose.