Re: [opensuse-factory] RHEL dumps Btrfs and replaces it with Stratis

On 02/10/17 23:55, Neal Gompa wrote:
On Sun, Oct 1, 2017 at 8:46 PM, Aleksa Sarai <asarai@xxxxxxx> wrote:
For what it's worth, it's not even in *Fedora* yet because Stratis is
written in Rust, and the required Rust packaging work was delayed
until Fedora 28. The only blockers on the openSUSE side right now are
supporting the new rich dependencies without breaking the Tumbleweed
compose (aka, new product builder), which I think is supposed to be
deployed by now, and RPM supporting with/without rich operators, which
is in RPM 4.14, which should be making its way into Tumbleweed and
SLE/Leap 15 soonish.

Is there a doc somewhere about the current status of Rust packaging on
openSUSE? From memory, the Debian folks were having a lot of trouble with it
-- though I see that you're a member of the SIG-Rust for Fedora[1].

What was/is the plan to deal with the nightly compiler issue, not to mention
the more generic cargo issue?

[1]: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Rust

As far as I know, there isn't a page about this for openSUSE. Luke
Jones, who is the member of the SIG (the member list is a bit out of
date) that works on openSUSE packaging, has been busy with his GSoC
project and school things, so he has been away for some time.

I've been meaning to take a stab at either rebasing openSUSE's rpm to
4.14 or backporting the necessary richops to the current rpm, but
SUSE's rpm package is rather scary compared to Fedora or Mageia's, in
part because SUSE-specific configuration changes are mushed into the
upstream rpm package rather than being split out into a
rpm-config-SUSE package (like redhat-rpm-config in Fedora and
rpm-mageia-setup in Mageia). I believe Simon Lees (who is CC'd to this
email) was working on splitting things up to make it easier to do rpm
upgrades. I've also been trying to take a stab at making the rpm
packaging not suck as much, but it's tricky...

If this week doesn't end up crazy busy with unexpected things like last
week i'll probably get back to working on it next week. But it involves
quite some work so I don't think it will be a quick process.

--

Simon Lees (Simotek) http://simotek.net

SUSE Linux Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30