Re: [opensuse-factory] Multiple options for desktop on Login
Il 02/10/2017 11:38, Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar ha scritto:
On Mon, 2017-10-02 at 13:04 +0000, Marco Calistri wrote:
Il 02/10/2017 06:42, Michael Aquilina ha scritto:
Hi there,

I noticed there are multiple desktop choices when logging in with
Tumbleweed (Gnome).

I have: * Gnome * Gnome * Gnome on Xorg * IceWM

I am aware what IceWM is, But what about the three other Gnome's?

I cant seem to find any indication of what this is online

I've seen the same on my TW, it looks now the "brains" have decided
remove important details as:

Luckily, there are some 'brains' that actually evaluate things before
writing to the mailing list here and that don't just rant about
unfounded and untrue stuff.
It was not a form to offend anybody, I wrote "brains" just to identify
people that have the ability and the power to make Tumbleweed works.

* Gnome (default)

if that represents default.desktop, you got that right (but you did not
mean that)

* Gnome (classic)

wrong

I wrote this because I've deliberately installed gnome-classic (sorry if
I don't remember the real name) stuff in the past and this detail was
appearing clearly on former login options.
* Gnome on Xorg (old Gnome based on Xorg X11)

the only thing here that is actually true in your mail

Cheers,
Dominique

PS: see the longer email sent to the OP with the actual details.

Thanks, I have appreciated to see a technical explanation about how the
things are working in reality regarding Gnome.

On the other hand, sometimes the new builds and especially the ones for
a rolling distribution as it is Tumbleweed, are carrying (IMHO) too many
big changes and this sometimes is disorienting the basic user beside
this, from what I have seen so far, documentation and forum for OpenSUSE
are undoubtedly less frequent and less rich of solutions than others as
for example Ubuntu Fedora or Arch and this difficult the user which
faces some issues.

Regards,
--
TThheerree''ss aann EEcchhoo iinn hheerree.

< Previous Next >