Re: [opensuse-factory] Kmail and SMime (Was: Need to click twice on shutdown to power-off TW)
On Saturday, 30 September 2017 00:08:32 CDT stakanov wrote:
He did an
"P.S. S/MIME testing" (as he quoted at the end of message)
When an S/MIME message arrives, you may or may not want to trust the issuing
authority (which is one of the weaknesses of s/mime vs gpg, you need to
trust an authority. But then, it is a very well known way to encrypt in
business. In this case it was commodo. Do you use kleopatra? It may be the
programm that issued the demand. And no, I do not think it is something
strange, the average user should be able to understand the value of such a
question. Maybe a better definition of which programm opens this would be
better.

I've got Kgpg running (maybe I should change that), but I thought it was Kmail
that issued the request. That's one of the problems--the issuing program and
the reason for the request isn't identified--and I feel uncomfortable extending
trust without knowing the party and dotting all the i's. I'm just carrying
that lack of trust forward to certificate authorities. I should say I don't
have knowlege of gpg usage reduced to muscle memory, I just use it once in a
while.

There is another, more common circumstance where Kmail (If it's Kmail) makes
ambiguous requests for trust, when it tries to make a secure connection
through a captive portal with a certificate. There, the answer is clearly no.

But what is the average user to do? Just trust any party to come along
without a clue what is going on, in an attempt to make things work?

I think the dialog should at least identify who is making the request. It
could be Kmail, or it could be Firefox, or it could be NetworkManager....

--
Tom Hardy <rhardy702@xxxxxxxxx>