Re: [opensuse-factory] TW installation fails with separate /var

Hello on Friday morning!

On Sep 28 20:31 Carlos E. R. wrote (excerpt):
On 2017-09-28 01:58, Larry Finger wrote:
I have /var on a separate partition too (on several systems)
I don't think /var can be shared, it contains "variables", files
that depend on each machine.

Rest assured one cannot share things like '/var/', cf.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_Hierarchy_Standard
that reads (excerpt)
/var
Variable files-files whose content is expected to continually
change during normal operation of the system-such as logs,
spool files, and temporary e-mail files.

I guess when /var is shared between systems that do not run
at the same time and run sufficiently same software versions,
then things might not too badly fail for spool files and
temporary e-mail files (except various inconsistencies
(who cares about consistency ;-) and the logs would look
more and more strage over time (who cares about logs ;-)

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
Graham Norton - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)