Re: [opensuse-factory] Can I remove locks in TW
  • From: Todd Rme <toddrme2178@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2017 12:27:12 -0400
On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 11:37 AM, Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar
<dimstar@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 2017-09-26 at 17:26 +0200, Maximilian Trummer wrote:
Am 2017-09-26 um 16:00 schrieb Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar:
On Tue, 2017-09-26 at 15:55 +0200, Bernhard M. Wiedemann wrote:
zypper dup --no-recommends --no-allow-vendor-change

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Just mentioning it again (Steter Tropfen höhlt den Stein): this is
the
default in Tumbleweed for a few weeks already, see
https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2017-07/msg00172.html

Cheers,
Dominique

Why is --no-recommends not default as well?

Because it's wrong - Recommends are there to offere 'a complete'
experiecne for applications; if you belive you can live without them,
you can't complain if a non-madnatory feature of an application is not
running (what you consider mandatory does not have to be mandatory for
an application; think about a document viewer like evince: NONE of the
formats it supports is mandatory to be supported by the viewer. Several
of them, though, we tagged as recommended - based on what the
application is most often used for)

We have three levels in package dependencies:

Requires: the application cannot operate without this dependency
Recommends: The application/package is usable, but can miss features.
It's up to the packagers to get a balance here
Suggests: Additional enhanced features can be added as suggests; An
application can potentially do even more than what a majority expects
of it.

No doubt, though: some packages are a bit eager in recommending other
things (e.g. xmlto, converting xml files to other formats, recommending
texlive, really?)

That is not my package, but I personally avoid suggests since there is
no support for them in YaST2. That means they are invisible to most
users.