Mailinglist Archive: opensuse-factory (331 mails)

< Previous Next >
[opensuse-factory] Re: kmail hangs with 100% CPU
  • From: Achim Gratz <Stromeko@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2017 19:28:42 +0200
  • Message-id: <87tw06a4ol.fsf@Rainer.invalid>
Wolfgang Bauer writes:
Am Dienstag, 12. September 2017, 20:22:56 CEST schrieb Achim Gratz:
Well, I moved the old one back for now. Anyway, I'm curious to know
what data I'd supposedly lose by doing that.

I answered a similar question here recently:
https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2017-08/msg00623.html

Hmm. I guess I won't have a problem then. As I said, all mail is
already local and any flags that may have been stored somewhere were
lost anyway during the botched kmail2 transition since I had to manually
import all mails at that time.

Well, you did mention high CPU usage and disk I/O by Akonadi and mysql too in
your original mail...

Yes, that's back with the old (somewhat damaged) database back in use at
the moment. It mostly happens when I send a new mail and a restart of
akonadi gets rid of it, so I can cope for now.

But ok, I read it completely again, and those problems apparently seem to be
fixed by removing the database.

Yes. Just that I get another problem I don't have a workaround for.

If its actually kmail that uses up the CPU now, I highly doubt that switching
the Akonadi database backend would have any effect though.

Well, I don't really know what happens and it really seems to be
triggered by moving above the 4096 barrier, so maybe if the database
backends serve up the data in smaller or larger chunks this might make
a difference. There is no discernible delay when opening a slightly
smaller folder, so I doubt some superlinear algorithm triggers this.

Kmail only talks to Akonadi, not the database backend.

I _think_ that the problem is precisely that Akonadi does deliver all
the data. Currently these large folders have a notceable delay when
entering them before any entries are shown, but eventually they will be
(and kmail remains responsive in the meantime, so I can switch to a
different folder for instance).

According to your problem description, it might be somehow related to message
threading/grouping though, so try to turn that off maybe and see if it helps.
I.e. try to switch to one of the "flat" options in
View->Message List->Aggregation.

Hmm. Could be although I got at least once a status message from kmial
that it had threaded something close to the number of messages in the
folder before it stopped responding.

Another thing that would probably be worth a try is to rename
~/.local/share/kmail2/ and/or the settings file
(~/.config/kmail2rc).

I did that once while trying to fixup things while trsnsitioning from
kmail2 and I don't want to do it again if I can avoid it.

I think I heard about problems with corrupted autosaved mails in the past,
and
I think saved searches can (or could in the past) also cause such problems,
but I'm not sure at the moment where those are saved as I never used them
myself (maybe ~/.local/share/kmail2/ as well).

I don't think that's a problem or at least I wouldn't know where these
would come from.


Regards,
Achim.
--
+<[Q+ Matrix-12 WAVE#46+305 Neuron microQkb Andromeda XTk Blofeld]>+

Samples for the Waldorf Blofeld:
http://Synth.Stromeko.net/Downloads.html#BlofeldSamplesExtra

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: opensuse-factory+unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxx
To contact the owner, e-mail: opensuse-factory+owner@xxxxxxxxxxxx

< Previous Next >