Re: [opensuse-factory] Questionable mirrors
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2017 15:03:24 +0200
Bengt Gördén wrote:

Den 2017-09-13 kl. 13:52, skrev Per Jessen:
No. It does not work like that. RIPE-db is at best considered if
there is no other option. Trust me on this. Been doing IP registry
for 23 years now.
Okay, how about explaining how it does work then?

It is empirical findings. Especially the country field in inetnum (see
below). When it comes to Maxmind no one except Maxmind them self can
say how it really works. But it is not country code in inetnum in
ripe-db as a first criteria. Maybe the last one and sometimes even not
that. Maxmind said in some old correspondence with me that they do
traceroute and ping to triangulate the position of an IP address.

Unless the country information is stored elsewhere, eventually they
would still need to consult ripe-db? Anyway, we're going off-topic.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (18.0°C)
http://www.cloudsuisse.com/ - your owncloud, hosted in Switzerland.