Re: [opensuse-factory] Bug in asynchronous firmware loading for wireless driver b43 in Leap 42.3
  • From: Mikel Rychliski <mikel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2017 18:06:19 -0400
On Saturday, September 9, 2017 5:31:58 PM EDT Stefan Bruens wrote:
On Freitag, 18. August 2017 16:59:25 CEST Larry Finger wrote:
On 08/18/2017 01:23 AM, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 8:24 AM, Roger Oberholtzer

<roger.oberholtzer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
As the machine has no networking until this is corrected, the is a
slower process that is usually the case.

I now get the message that "Dual-core devices are not supported"

Seems this means that the firmware I am using is not correct. I do not
know why. I have the files in place and they are obviously loaded as I
no longer get that complaint.

I see a discussion of this here:

https://forums.opensuse.org/content.php/157-Broadcom-firmware-is-needed->
fo
r-b43-but-I-have-no-network-an-easierwork-around

I will next try that. How it is different from the manual method
described elsewhere in the openSUSE wiki is unclear. Are there
different versions of the firmware, and perhaps I am using the wrong
RPM?

I found a little more background on your problem. That message about dual
cores was submitted as commit 8f15e28703d1 ("b43: ssb: refuse to support
more than one IEEE 802.11 core").

The above patch was applied to kernel 3.16. You stated that you had not
used your device for some time. Obviously, previous use was with kernel
3.15 or older. Driver b43 never supported the 5G band in any of the
devices. Some, including yours, were dual band with a separate 802.11
core for each band. Handling them was tricky, thus the rejection of any
such devices.

I have Cc'd the author of that patch to see if he can think of a way to
get
your device working. Reverting that patch would restore the old behavior,
but that would probably affect a lot more users.

Larry

This seems to be some regression introduced between last Leap 42.2 kernel
and current 42.3 kernel.

The 42.2 kernel was 4.4.74-18.20, currently installed kernel is 4.4.85-22.

The regression happens with two different Dell-branded Broadcom wireless
cards, the 4322 is from November 2009, the 4312 from March 2010:

b43-phy0: Broadcom 4312 WLAN found (core revision 15)
b43-phy0: Found PHY: Analog 6, Type 5 (LP), Revision 1
b43-phy0: Found Radio: Manuf 0x17F, ID 0x2062, Revision 2, Version 0
Broadcom 43xx driver loaded [ Features: PNLS ]

b43-phy0: Broadcom 4322 WLAN found (core revision 16)
b43-phy0: Found PHY: Analog 8, Type 4 (N), Revision 4
b43-phy0: Found Radio: Manuf 0x17F, ID 0x2056, Revision 3, Version 0
Broadcom 43xx driver loaded [ Features: PNLS ]

So although the "Dual-core not supported" message is from kernel 3.16, there
seems to be something else that causes this regression.

Kind regards,

Stefan

I'm getting the "Dual-core devices are not supported" error when trying to
reinsert the b43 module after the firmware load in initrd failed. The error
message "probe of ssb0:0 failed with error -524" is also logged by the same
module.

Removing the ssb_hcd and ssb modules (with rmmod) before reinserting b43 (with
modprobe) resolved the issue for me.

Mikel