Re: [opensuse-factory] Maintainer wanted for rzsz and wvdial
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2017 17:32:23 +0200
Jan Engelhardt wrote:

On Monday 2017-09-04 16:31, James Knott wrote:

On 09/04/2017 10:27 AM, David Sterba wrote:
I'd like to keep wvdial around, I use it for connecting my laptop(s)
through a mobile phone on occasion.

Does anyone still do that? I haven't used dial up for almost 15
years. My cell phone provides a network connection.

Exporting/sharing a connection (over WLAN, BT or USB) is different. If
that functionality is available, use it. Dealing with modems and modem
software directly is not a lot of fun I can tell.

The Hayes Command Set, if you choose to use it, has a "dial" command
that must be used, even if there is no concept of dialing on modern
data networks. So you just input a magic code.

Seems like the modern chips no longer support voice calling (the old
way of modems talking).

ATDT004917612345678
NO CARRIER

But given a sufficiently vintage modem (perhaps with a vintage phone),

Doesn't need to be so vintage - a USB GSM modem will typically appear as
a serial port to be operated with the AT comand set (plus extensions).
We're using one those for sending alert SMS'es. Not with wvdial
though.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (19.4°C)