Re: [opensuse-factory] Maintainer wanted for rzsz and wvdial
  • From: Brüns, Stefan <Stefan.Bruens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2017 14:58:24 +0000
On Montag, 4. September 2017 16:31:43 CEST James Knott wrote:
On 09/04/2017 10:27 AM, David Sterba wrote:
I'd like to keep wvdial around, I use it for connecting my laptop(s)
through a mobile phone on occasion.

Does anyone still do that? I haven't used dial up for almost 15 years.
My cell phone provides a network connection.

Connecting the computer to the internet using my mobile phone, yes. But I have
not seen a mobile phone which exposes an actual modem for years, but some kind
of ethernet connectivity, i.e. WLAN and/or Ethernet-over-USB (ECM).

For USB-WWAN sticks (which do expose a modem(-lookalike)), I prefer using
ModemManager + NetworkManager. Works great, and provides me with realtime
information about the physical layer connection (2G, 3G, 4G, signal strength,
...).

Kind regards,