Re: [opensuse-factory] *Updated* NVIDIA gfx driver RPMs available for Tumbleweed ...
  • From: Mykola Krachkovsky <w01dnick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2017 23:43:33 +0300
субота, 2 вересня 2017 р. 17:21:24 EEST Andrei Borzenkov написано:
02.09.2017 15:58, Mykola Krachkovsky пишет:
Hi, is there any hints to install it on "optimus" laptop? I'm aware that
switching between GPU's would not work, I want to try pure nvidia on
parallel installation (for tests and Vulkan).

This really depends on your precise optimus (hardware) implementation
and what you want to do.

Maybe I was not clear enough, I want to run X on NVidia-only. What else about
implementation I could provide? Screen connected to Intel GPU I suppose, at
least there is no problem when NVidia GPU is completely switched off by
bumblebee.

nVidia proprietary driver does not support render offload, so you can
only switch complete X output running on dGPU to screen connected to
iGPU device. You can neither use both iGPU and dGPU simultaneously (e.g.
start *one* program on dGPU and display output on screen connected to
iGPU) nor start program (or complete X) on iGPU and display output on
screen connected to dGPU.

bumblebee bypasses this problem by using "sideband" channel to display
content rendered on dGPU on screen connected to iGPU.

So in general you cannot replace bumblebee with proprietary drivers +
glvnd. You can use nouveau, although you still need to manually manage
which GPU will be doing rendering, same as with bumblebee (by explicitly
starting program on dGPU).

If dGPU has own screen, I presume it should be possible to use both of
them, although I am unsure about to which extent it will be possible to
combine them in single "desktop".

I'm not interested in running both Intel and NVidia, that's what bumblebee
does (although not very well). NVidia-only on optimus laptop. So I didn't
really get why I need that, sorry.

--
Kind regards,
Mykola Krachkovsky