Re: [opensuse-factory] *Updated* NVIDIA gfx driver RPMs available for Tumbleweed ...
02.09.2017 15:58, Mykola Krachkovsky пишет:
вівторок, 15 серпня 2017 р. 15:18:04 EEST Stefan Dirsch написано:
Since today there are updated NVIDIA gfx driver RPMs available for
Tumbleweed. Feel free to give them a/another try by adding the repository
manually via

zypper ar https://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/tumbleweed
nvidia-tumbleweed

Hi, is there any hints to install it on "optimus" laptop? I'm aware that
switching between GPU's would not work, I want to try pure nvidia on parallel
installation (for tests and Vulkan).

This really depends on your precise optimus (hardware) implementation
and what you want to do.

nVidia proprietary driver does not support render offload, so you can
only switch complete X output running on dGPU to screen connected to
iGPU device. You can neither use both iGPU and dGPU simultaneously (e.g.
start *one* program on dGPU and display output on screen connected to
iGPU) nor start program (or complete X) on iGPU and display output on
screen connected to dGPU.

bumblebee bypasses this problem by using "sideband" channel to display
content rendered on dGPU on screen connected to iGPU.

So in general you cannot replace bumblebee with proprietary drivers +
glvnd. You can use nouveau, although you still need to manually manage
which GPU will be doing rendering, same as with bumblebee (by explicitly
starting program on dGPU).

If dGPU has own screen, I presume it should be possible to use both of
them, although I am unsure about to which extent it will be possible to
combine them in single "desktop".

I've removed bumblebee, bbswitch, bumblebee-nvidia packages. Restarted and
installed packages from nvidia repository. There was still Intel driver used.
I've run nvidia-xconfig (which looks kinda buggy), and got strange /etc/X11/
xorg.conf [1]. Tried to boot with it anyway but X hadn't started and got fast
switching from one to other tty. It's almost unable to login while that.
Restarted without X, renamed xorg.conf and added manually to xorg.conf.d only
essential parts [2]. But after restart got the very same behaviour — fast
switching between tty's.

Is that something of bumblebee left or something other is wrong?
There is no any /usr/lib*/libGL.so.1.2* files.

Intel i7 6700HQ
NVidia GTX970M

openSUSE Tumbleweed x86_64
boot options: acpi_osi=! "acpi_osi=Windows 2009"
SDDM
KDE Plasma 5

[1] http://susepaste.org/38919395
[2] http://susepaste.org/42224432