Re: [opensuse-factory] Packages from OBS repositories

On 02/09/17 03:01, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 2017-09-01 14:54, Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar wrote:
On Fri, 2017-09-01 at 14:34 +0200, Carlos E. R. wrote:

What? You can't be serious. Would you accept this when someone
would tell you
it's never your turn? Come on. Get real.

No, it is never my turn to package software in factory if I don't
have
that skill. You can not ask me to do that. You can ask me other
things.

Rhw open source spirit applied here is rather simple:

you either do the work
or
you find/motivate somebody the work for you

so, you either package things up yourself
or
you find a contributor/maintainer that is willing to do this for you.

you can ask, but you can't demand.

Of course, I agree absolutely.

But on the other hand, you can not also demand users to do the packaging
themselves. It doesn't work that way, either.

I don't think anyone demanded any user to do anything, on the other hand
I have helped teach a number of users to package things they are missing
over the years.

I myself started out as a user who got board of building enlightenment
from source on 3 machines so I started helping create and maintain
packages for them, with some help and a little effort it wasn't that
hard to learn. Fast forward 5 years and I now work in the packaging team
at SUSE. Any long time Linux user who is willing to learn can learn to
package with OBS its no more complicated then anything else they do.

--

Simon Lees (Simotek) http://simotek.net

SUSE Linux Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30