Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: Lightworks requires libcrypto.so.10 file for Leap 42.3

On Friday 2017-09-01 13:56, Neal Gompa wrote:

Not clear where this libcrypto.so.10 is from, but I think an older libressl
version?

Well as I have already written _numerous_ times now, Fedora.

So, over a year ago, I spoke to one of the Red Hat Security guys about
the situation and managed to convince them to make the soname
consistent with everyone else for OpenSSL 1.1.x. So starting with
Fedora 26, we use libssl.so.1.1 / libcrypto.so.1.1, just like
openSUSE, Mageia, Debian, and others.

Even though I believed the Fedora scheme was better (it incremented it
every time as a whole integer rather than falsely tying it to the
version), no one else used it

What is important is a unique SONAME, so whether you use integers or
version strings does not matter, as long as it does change when it
needs to change.

Fiddling with the post-".so" number has the problem that upstream
can, at any time, come up with their own numbers (as has happened
at libressl), which is why pre-.so numbering (think libbfd-2.25.so)
seems preferable when distros have to add a number.