Re: [opensuse-factory] Unable to Mount USB Stick as Non-root
Hello,

On Thu, 31 Aug 2017 14:32:43 -0400
Charles Philip Chan <cpchan777@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello all,

I haven't had a need to mount an USB stick in a long time and now I am
not able to mount it as non-root. I don't use any DE's. However, I
have following polkit rule in /etc/polkit-1/rules.d/10-udisks2.rules:

----
// Allow udisks2 to mount devices without authentication
// for users in the "trusted" group.
polkit.addRule(function(action, subject) {
if ((action.id ==
"org.freedesktop.udisks2.filesystem-mount-system" || action.id ==
"org.freedesktop.udisks2.filesystem-mount") &&
subject.isInGroup("trusted")) { return polkit.Result.YES;
}
});
----

I am in the trusted group. This used to work but not anymore.

I tried to debug this a while back and in the end resorted to using
pmount which is really easy to set up - unlike anything using policykit.

Note that you need a file manager that asks policykit to mount the
device. AFAIK mount(8) does not use policykit so any amount of policy
settings won't help you.

HTH

Michal