Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: TW 20170825 - 100% system load
On 2017-08-30 22:22, Achim Gratz wrote:
Wolfgang Bauer writes:
One possibility:
Akonadi's database structure has changed in 17.08, so the tables will be
updated on first start and this can take a while (especially if there are
many
entries).

Well, it took some time to happen for me, so it was a bit of a surprise
when the machine ground to a halt without me doing anything that would
trigger that. The issue for me really was that the akonadi process
balooned to almost twice the available physical memory (I have 8GB plus
the same amount of swap) and was thrashing everything else to swap. I
managed to terminate a few large processes to free up enough memory so
it didn't run out of swap too (it peaked somwhere around 14.5GiB) and it
eventually finished about half an hour later. I have the swap on an
SSD, I think it would have taken a lot longer to finish on spinning
rust.

A process should not demand that huge amount of memory, it should be
optimized.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.