[opensuse-factory] Tumbleweed installation topics with Snapshots 2018082x
  • From: ub22@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2017 15:44:47 +0200
Hi,

I've not checked all bug-tracker itemes, so I don't know if this is new
or known.

Since many years (I don't remind well, but first version was 2.x), I
use SuSE/openSUSE. Since some the beginning I use the Tumbleweed bild
only with some small boot issues.

Due to a HW upgrade, I used for installation the current tumbleweed
builds (openSUSE-Tumbleweed-DVD-x86_64-Current.iso) with Snapshots
2017082x (x=2, 3, 5 if I remind well).

So I've seen some issues during installation in all versions.

My finding
1. Generation from bootable USB 3.0 memory device with ImageWriter
was quite easy - but on the end, I can't see if this was well
finished (closed without any remark - e.g. please remove device
/dev/sdx - programming well finished)
2. Boot with EFI security works fine, but it starts as default in
installation mode - from my point of view, it is better to wait
unlimited - due to a longer installation, the reboot back in
installation first step without any remark also confused me
and I don't know if the installation was well done
3. If I switch the language on the first page to German (remark
no German guy search "German" - all will search "Deutsch",
so the sorting should be done with Deutsch/German - so an
entering of D will switch in the correct region)
Automatically, the keyboard layout will be selected as
"Deutsch" - and if I test it in the offered field, it
works fine.
4. After this, I changed the from my point of view to a better
drive/partition mapping with encryption and using the more
stable ext4 (due to full root drive issues more than 5 times
in the past with the beta or buggy btrfs).
But the main issue is, that I can enter a password e.g. with
ä,ö,ü or simple y/z. If I test the correct entry also later
in the user field - it works fine (due to the usage from
correct German keyboard layout).
5. Selection from my unchanged preferred desktop KDE and
installation - works still fine. Only in version from 20180822,
also automatically the grub was switcht to password security
(but not shown nicer in overview nor in configuration window).
6. After installation, the window is showing again the Language
selection (reason also described in 2.). After a reboot
without installation stick, grub requests a passwort => ok,
after trail and error, I find out it is the same as used for the
encryption key - and additional replacement from German keys
with the English ones works. Same issue for sure in the
partition encryption password field (sometimes this translation
is no more so easy for me, so the last use of an English keyboard
was for more than 40 years).
After booting, the same behavior, Language and Formating was well
switched but keyboard was still the English one. This can easily
fixed with using yast and switching to a other one in Keyboard
or Language menu and afterwords back to German (both works similar
so I know after around 10 times of installation)
After selection and test of the functionality of a well working
Keyboard Language selection, also the Passwort entry works like
expected with the typed characters like in installation.
Remark: looks for me, like the keyboard layout settings was not
correct copied to the installation
7. After reconfiguration of the installation (remove of the
installation source - USB stick - and including of only online
repositories and packman. The system works fine on my Intel
NUC 7I7BNHX1 Intel Core i7 i7-7567U 2 x 3.5 GHz and 16GB Intel
Optane™ M.2, which I have used as cache (after some crazy
effects - I kicked it out and replaced it with a
M.2 SSD 250 GB Samsung 960 EVO Retail MZ-V6E250BW PCIe 3.0 x4
and also kicked out my old 128GB Samsung 840 pro SSD MZ7pD128HCFV

If the trouble with not correct working booting in all Snapshots
and suspend trouble in version 20170823 remains, I let you know.

Regards
Ulf