Re: [opensuse-factory] Where to submit package updates

On 21/08/17 18:32, Axel Braun wrote:
Hello Tristan

Am Montag, 21. August 2017, 10:32:48 CEST schrieb Tristan Miller:

Certain packages I use from the "official release" repositories of
openSUSE 42.3 and Tumbleweed are out of date. Some of these packages
are also found (in the same version) in additional repositories such as
"Archiving" or "multimedia:apps".

Until now, when I want to revise a package so that it's using the
latest upstream version, I've been branching it on OBS, making the
necessary updates in my own project space, and then submitting it to
the appropriate "additional" repository.

Thats a good approach - the maintainer of the package can then review it
before accepting into the development repository

Will these updates eventually make it into the "official release"
repositories, or do I need to manually submit them to the "official
release" repositories?

Talk to the maintainer, whether he submits it to Factory, or if he is fine if
you pick this part up.

Into Leap new packages are just submitted in case a bug report exists -
feature releases are not in scope, as Leap should be kept 'stable'.

But if there is a new bugfix release and the maintainer is happy for you
to push it as an update to an already released Leap you can do so by
following the process here [1], note that the steps for 42.3 should be
the same as 42.2, I guess know one has got to updating the wiki page
recently.

1. https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Maintenance_update_process

--

Simon Lees (Simotek) http://simotek.net

SUSE Linux Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30