Re: [opensuse-factory] Where to submit package updates
  • From: Axel Braun <axel.braun@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2017 11:02:18 +0200
Hello Tristan

Am Montag, 21. August 2017, 10:32:48 CEST schrieb Tristan Miller:

Certain packages I use from the "official release" repositories of
openSUSE 42.3 and Tumbleweed are out of date. Some of these packages
are also found (in the same version) in additional repositories such as
"Archiving" or "multimedia:apps".

Until now, when I want to revise a package so that it's using the
latest upstream version, I've been branching it on OBS, making the
necessary updates in my own project space, and then submitting it to
the appropriate "additional" repository.

Thats a good approach - the maintainer of the package can then review it
before accepting into the development repository

Will these updates eventually make it into the "official release"
repositories, or do I need to manually submit them to the "official
release" repositories?

Talk to the maintainer, whether he submits it to Factory, or if he is fine if
you pick this part up.

Into Leap new packages are just submitted in case a bug report exists -
feature releases are not in scope, as Leap should be kept 'stable'.

I'm not really sure of the workflow here -- I'm
not a SUSE employee but just an external volunteer.

...as many of us here in the list.

Welcome to the team!
Axel