Re: [opensuse-factory] zypper dup and the "upgrade workflow"
Am Tue, 15 Aug 2017 22:00:06 +0200
schrieb Tristan Miller <psychonaut@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

I asked what "upgrade workflow" he was referring to but received no response.

I guess this means booting the Tumbleweed/Leap installer with 'upgrade=1' to
enable knobs to do a system upgrade instead of a fresh install. This will not
only upgrade all pacakges but also the first and second stage bootloader. There
should be also a yast config screen to tweak the bootloader settings.

In case of zypper dup it is a good idea to run 'grub2-install <device>'
manually because the post install scripts can not possibly cover all cases.
Perhaps the udev upgrade failed to redo the link. Or the old udev simply did
not know the new format /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-3*.

One option to recover: boot the installer with 'start_shell, or rescue=1. Then
run "mount-rootfs-and-do-chroot.sh /dev/sdaN", and fixup the bootloader
manually.

Good luck.

Olaf