Re: [opensuse-factory] Changing Architecture level for 32bit x86 to x86-64
Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar píše v Út 15. 08. 2017 v 15:41 +0200:
On Tue, 2017-08-15 at 11:53 +0200, Richard Biener wrote:
SLES 15 will change the architecture level for 32bit x86 package
builds
to x86-64 to match the 64bit x86 builds as the only use for the
32bit
packages are to run on a 64bit SLES install.
I propose to do the same for Tumbleweed.

So you basically send our 32bit users (i586) away - what do we
actually
WIN by this?

Requiring x86-64 means (ontop of the current i586 level) requiring
MMX, SSE, SSE2 and FXSR.

That cuts off (from a look at GCC internals) CPUs with nickname
pentium-mmx, c3-2, i686, pentiumpro pentium2 pentium3, pentium3m,
geode, k6, k6-2, k6-3, athlon, athlon-tbird, athlon-4, athlon-xp,
athlon-mp. Most of those will have difficulties running
Tumbleweed
due to low memory (I remember my Athlon box having 16MB of ram
which
was plenty at the time).

A i686 with a couple GB of ram is nothing special I'd say.

Advantages of raising the architecture level is better performance
of 32bit applications on 64bit and a simpler repository setup
(no more glibc.i686).
Bonus points for somebody finding a table mapping architecture
features to products rather than the other way around.

Thus - check your /proc/cpuinfo for the lack of MMX/SSE/SSE2/FXSR
and report back.

Sadly, we will not get a feedback from all machines running TW - so
we
frankly have no idea what machine will 'stop working from one day to
another'

Of course this is no issue for SLE/Leap, where there is simply no
i586
support - I see it slightly different for TW and before accepting any
such thing, we should get an understanding of what we break and how
many users/machines we 'send away'

Actually this is false positive. Even if the box work on i586 right now
we state in documentation minimal machine is pentium 4 with all the
features. Which means sse2 and fun. Thus we already exclude them.

It keeps to work by accident and then people are suprised that suddenly
fips check start to break stuff...

Also this has lovely benefit of speeding all the 32bit stuff like steam
for 64bit users, so by this you are saying that you preffer 12y+ old hw
over the current one.

Actually the wiki is even more fun https://en.opensuse.org/Hardware_req
uirements we state the p4 as minimum for Leap while it is not possible
to run on 32bit... :)

Tom