[opensuse-factory] *Updated* NVIDIA gfx driver RPMs available for Tumbleweed ...
Hi

Since today there are updated NVIDIA gfx driver RPMs available for
Tumbleweed. Feel free to give them a/another try by adding the repository
manually via

zypper ar https://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/tumbleweed nvidia-tumbleweed

(if not created yet) and install them via

zypper inr

(or "zypper up", if already installed)

The kernel module is being built during installation (as it's done with the
Leap packages). But the kernel module is also being rebuilt and reinstalled
after a kernel update has been done, since we don't necessarily keep the kABI
stable for TW. This has been implemented by making use of RPM's trigger
scripts.

Issues fixed in this update:

- gdm could not be started

Known issues/limitations:

https://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/tumbleweed nvidia-tumbleweed is a
non-browsable directory, so please don't tell me it doesn't exist after
pasting it into your favorite web-browser. ;-)

Packages are only available for the latest long lived branch (currently
384.59). Reason is, that with TW we switched to libglvnd, which is not
supported by the legacy driver series 340.xx and 304.xx.

If you had NVIDIA driver installed manually when updating TW from Mesa to
libglvnd+Mesa, you'll see an orphaned libGL.so.1.2* in /usr/lib64 and
/usr/lib. This may have happened unnoticed.

So please check this after running

nvidia-installer --uninstall

and remove these files, if available via

rm -f /usr/lib*/libGL.so.1.2*

before installing the NVIDIA RPMs. This is already documented in

https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_the_hard_way

You can provide feedback here in this mail thread or via bugzilla. If you use
Bugzilla, please use

Product: openSUSE Tumbleweed
Component: X11 3rd party Driver

Thanks,
Stefan

Public Key available
Stefan Dirsch (Res. & Dev.) SUSE LINUX GmbH
Tel: 0911-740 53 0 Maxfeldstraße 5
FAX: 0911-740 53 479 D-90409 Nürnberg
http://www.suse.de Germany