[opensuse-factory] DNF package manager packages for openSUSE
  • From: Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2017 21:39:54 -0400
Hey all,

As some of you may know, the Fedora community has moved from Yum to
DNF for its primary package manager. Like Zypper, it uses libsolv as a
dependency resolver.

A couple of months back, I requested a devel subproject[1] to work on
this from Philipp Thomas. I've now managed to get the core stuff
going, and I'd like to start submitting stuff into Factory so that
they can be integrated in.

The primary reason for having the DNF package manager in openSUSE is
for KIWI, actually. The new KIWI supports building Fedora 22+ and
Mageia 6+ appliance images, which use the DNF package manager. And of
course, the next version of RHEL/CentOS will use this package manager
as the default, too.

Like the Yum package manager for openSUSE, the DNF package manager is
not set up at all to function as the primary package manager, and only
enough of the package manager stack was packaged for KIWI and tools
like Mock to use.

Anyway, I'm not exactly sure how to get my project to be recognized as
a valid devel project source for Factory so that things "work" like
they should when submitting. Is there anything else that needs to be
done, or is sending SRs enough?

Thanks in advance,
Neal

[1]: https://build.opensuse.org/project/show/system:packagemanager:dnf