Re: [opensuse-factory] Next steps for Firefox on TW
On 2017-08-11 09:51, Wolfgang Rosenauer wrote:
Hi,

So to summarize it all leads to the current state and proposal:

- it's technically possible to update MozillaFirefox to 55.0 now
- I will add Firefox ESR as a _new_ package to TW called firefox-esr
(recognize the small inconsistency in naming but MozillaFirefox is
called like that for historical reasons. It provides also "firefox" as
virtual name since many many years.) (still can be discussed)
- the result is that current MozillaFirefox users will be upgraded to
latest version and people who want to stay with ESR need to act.
- there is one main question which I'm a bit undecided still:
How to handle parallel installations? Do we want to allow that?
This will need some patching work since otherwise both will run on the
same profile. That is also the reason why switching between both is
dangerous (remember the incompatible statement above).
There is a technical way to circumvent this (still to be verified) by
changing the profile patch for ESR away from .mozilla to something
else (.mozilla-esr?) but this will be an openSUSE specific thing!

So this would be my proposal but I'm still looking for feedback
especially to the last item.
If possible please keep replies focused to the topic.

It all seems good to me.

Suggest you always create the .mozilla-esr config as backup in case a
user wants to go back later (even if the esr version is not installed
initially). Or, create a backup.

Whatever done may be like an experiment for what to do for Leap 14.x :-)

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.