Re: [opensuse-factory] Next steps for Firefox on TW
Am 11.08.2017 um 10:17 schrieb Alberto Planas Dominguez:
On Fri, 2017-08-11 at 18:11 +1000, Konstantin Voinov wrote:
Hi.

- the result is that current MozillaFirefox users will be upgraded
latest version and people who want to stay with ESR need to act.

My first thought was:
1. new package MozillaFirefox-esr replaces current MozillaFirefox<=52

this needs quite some exceptions based on the channel we ship the
packages I fear. Need to think about it but could be flaky.

2. next MozillaFirefox have to explicitly conflict MozillaFirefox<=52

conflicts between esr and non-esr are possible and are already implemented.
It's exactly what is happening in the mozilla repo where we have
MozillaFirefox 55.0 and firefox-esr 52.3 conflicting each other.

Is such scenario possible?

- there is one main question which I'm a bit undecided still:
How to handle parallel installations? Do we want to allow that?
This will need some patching work since otherwise both will run
on
the
same profile. That is also the reason why switching between both
is
dangerous (remember the incompatible statement above).
There is a technical way to circumvent this (still to be
verified) by
changing the profile patch for ESR away from .mozilla to
something
else (.mozilla-esr?) but this will be an openSUSE specific thing!

I afraid that is overkill

I agree. I would prefer exclusion here.

Doable but it doesn't solve the problem when people start running
Firefox 55 and want to switch back to 52. I have no idea what will
happen exactly.
The statement in the 55.0 release notes:
"Firefox does not support downgrades, even though this may have worked
in past versions. Users who install Firefox 55+ and later downgrade to
an earlier version may experience issues with Firefox."

In mozilla I was able to easily ignore that fact but when shipping two
variants in TW I am/was not sure if this is acceptable.

Wolfgang