Re: [opensuse-factory] Bug in asynchronous firmware loading for wireless driver b43 in Leap 42.3
On 08/06/2017 10:57 PM, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
07.08.2017 00:29, Larry Finger пишет:
On 08/06/2017 03:28 PM, Takashi Iwai wrote:
On Sun, 06 Aug 2017 22:26:19 +0200,
Takashi Iwai wrote:

On Sun, 06 Aug 2017 21:47:18 +0200,
Larry Finger wrote:

In bsc#1052060 Freek de Kruij reports a bug in firmware loading at
bootup for b43 with Leap 42.3. I have confirmed the problem, and
verified that Leap 42.2 and Tumbleweed work correctly.

This is not a kernel problem as my tests were all done with a 4.13-rcX
kernel. I suspect a udev problem; however, TW and 42.3 appear to be
using the same revision for udev. Can anyone tell me to whom the bug
should be reassigned?

Likely a dup of bug#1052060, a dracut problem.

Gah, a copy & paste error, I meant bug#1037344.

Takeshi,

I agree that the two bugs are the same. I just checked, and 42.2 does
not include b43.ko in initrd the way that 42.3 does.

Is there a quick way to modify the list of drivers included in initrd? I

For testing - omit_drivers, but it wrong to unconditionally do it in
package. You cannot know whether this driver may be needed.

If I omitted b43 from my configuration, how would I test for the bug?

think it would be better to get b43 out of initrd than to include all
the firmware in kernel macros. There are a lot of firmware files, and
any given card only needs a few of them.

1. Any chance that dracut now creates host-independent initrd by
default? I do not see anything in dracut changelog, OTOH in 13.2 (I do
not have 42.2 handy) there was dracut.conf.d snippet that explicitly set
hostonly mode.

2. The problem with b43 is that it does not really list all possible
firmware files in module at all, nor does it even load them from the
place it indicates in module. So - assuming that monster initrd is
indeed intentional - it requires special handling, you cannot simply
feet all firmware files indicated by module.

I do not understand the "nor does it even load them from the place it indicates in module" comment. All regular firmware is loaded from /lib/firmware/b43/. There is a possibility of loading open-source firmware from a different directory, but that kind of fw is available for only a couple of antiquated cards.

Larry