Aw: Re: [opensuse-factory] hylafax+ 5.5.8 localized Email notification chops german Umlauts
  • From: "Axel Braun" <Axel.Braun@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2017 13:32:51 +0200

Gesendet: Freitag, 04. August 2017 um 12:15 Uhr
Von: "Simon Lees" <sflees@xxxxxxx>
An: opensuse-factory@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Betreff: Re: [opensuse-factory] hylafax+ 5.5.8 localized Email notification
chops german Umlauts

On 04/08/17 18:39, Axel Braun wrote:
Hi,

In current Leap (and TW as well I assume) there seems to be a problem when
sending Email notifications in german language: The Umlauts get chopped:

What sould be sent:
Die folgenden Dokumente wurden zum Versand übermittelt und sind auf dem
Server
zur erneuten Nutzung verfügbar bis sie automatisch bereinigt werden

What is sent:
Die folgenden Dokumente wurden zum Versand bermittelt und sind auf dem
Server
zur erneuten Nutzung verfgbar bis sie automatisch bereinigt werden

Note that the Umlauts are missing.
Mail itself looks OK from the header:

In the Script that triggers the mail notification I changed the command to
write into a file:

echo "--$MIMEBOUNDARY--"
) 2>$ERRORSTO | $SENDMAIL -f$FROMADDR -oi -t

changed to

echo "--$MIMEBOUNDARY--"
) 2>$ERRORSTO | cat > /tmp/examine_me.eml

Result: All Umlauts are there

So I logged in as root (as well as uucp) and tried from the command line:
echo abcäöü | mail -s "Täst" $email

-> worked as well.

Any idea where the problem could come from?
Mail agent is postfix

Thanks
Axel

Given this is a issue related to a specific piece of software that
doesn't effect most people, its probably better as a bug report on
bugzilla.opensuse.org so the maintainer can help you diagnose and fix
the issue directly.

It is already in bugzilla, but it's probably not a hylafax-specific problem. As
many people on the list have deep knowledge in system setup and processes we
may get some valuable input.

Best regards
Axel