Re: [opensuse-factory] Tumbleweed 32-bit roadmap?
  • From: Michal Kubecek <mkubecek@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2017 10:36:10 +0200
On Thursday, 3 August 2017 10:21 Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
On Thu, Aug 3, 2017 at 9:58 AM, Michal Kubecek <mkubecek@xxxxxxx>
wrote:
This may be because of 32-bit UEFI (as with the tablets I wrote
about
yesterday). If they are shipped with 32-bit Windows by the vendor,
it's quite likely this problem.

To my best knowledge 32 Windows never supported (and still does not
support) EFI. I may be wrong though.

IMHO you are. I have Acer Aspire 10E convertible which was shipped with
32-bit Windows 8.1 and has (32-bit) UEFI. If there was an option to
enforce legacy BIOS-style boot, everything would be way easier.

- grub2 i386_efi simply is not available on x86_64; it needs to be
either built explicitly or some magic that pulls in 32 bit builds must
be used. I wish openSUSE had either actual multiarch support or at
least allowed grub2 packages to be noarch; currently it results in
error because rpmlint assumes ELF binaries cannot be in noarch

Yes, one thing I had to do was to pick the i586 package for that. But
that's easy to fix and if we want to drop i586 architecture one day,
this is one of the things we should do.

- perl-Bootloader used to force x86_64_efi on 64 bit, not sure whether
it changed with new shell based implementation. If it still does,
keying platform selection on EFI arch does not require any explicit
grub support.

I don't remember having any problem with that. Grub2 setup regenerates
correctly for me on kernel updates.

Michal Kubeček