Re: [opensuse-factory] Tumbleweed 32-bit roadmap?
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger.oberholtzer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2017 09:54:43 +0200
On Thu, Aug 3, 2017 at 9:33 AM, Simon Lees <sflees@xxxxxxx> wrote:

There are plenty of manufacturing facilities running really old OS's to
support there old hardware with old drivers, generally the key is to
either not put them on a network or put them on a segregated network
with no internet access. At the last company I worked for most of the
computers in manufacturing had no internet access and when you wanted to
put a new file on or change something you used a flash drive.

The thing is that this computer also runs our software. And our
software progresses. We add new features. As one does. Often this
results in new library requirements. We have no interest in being
stuck at the level of things available 5 or 10 years ago.

I suspect that a possible solution is to move the proprietary system
to it's own computer, and control it over the network via our own
protocol. We have done this before. It does isolate us from these sad
facts of life. In fact, we use openSUSE images built with kiwi that
allow these computers to boot without an OS. From the OS POV they are
diskless and do not change the boot images - only temp stuff in RAM.
So they never get corrupt and are easy to set up (after the first
one...). Oh the things we do with openSUSE...

There is always a solution. A 32-bit Tumbleweed is one of them that
creates the smallest disturbance. But there are others. It's what
keeps me in a job :)

--
Roger Oberholtzer