Re: [opensuse-factory] Tumbleweed 32-bit roadmap?

On 03/08/17 16:54, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
On Thu, Aug 3, 2017 at 8:41 AM, Simon Lees <sflees@xxxxxxx> wrote:

It will still be possible to install 32bit applications on 64bit systems
like it is currently, have you tried running your application on Leap
with the 32bit compatibility libraries installed? Its probably a better
solution.

It is a mixed thing. The frame grabber cards are accessed via a kernel
driver. Happily, the card manufacturer provides both 32- and 64-bit
drivers. So, if I am lucky, the 64-bit drivers may work.

The difficulty is that the 32-bit access library to control the
sensors connected to the card is compiled against the 32-bit kernel
drivers. So I wonder if it could talk to the 64-bit driver without
modification. And, of course, I would need to find 64-bit drivers that
work with a new kernel but are compatible with the 32-bit drivers that
the access library was compiled to use...

In fact, I guess I might face the same problem finding a 32-bit driver
that works with a new kernel (as supplied in 32-bit Tumbleweed) that
also works with the old 32-bit access library. So there are more than
32-/64-bit issues.

But you are right. It is a possible solution.

Something tells me that we are going to have to keep these customers
on their current OS which we will have to continue to support...

See the problems that proprietary code causes?

There are plenty of manufacturing facilities running really old OS's to
support there old hardware with old drivers, generally the key is to
either not put them on a network or put them on a segregated network
with no internet access. At the last company I worked for most of the
computers in manufacturing had no internet access and when you wanted to
put a new file on or change something you used a flash drive.

--

Simon Lees (Simotek) http://simotek.net

SUSE Linux Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30