Re: [opensuse-factory] Tumbleweed 32-bit roadmap?
  • From: Michal Kubecek <mkubecek@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2017 08:45:46 +0200
On Thursday, 3 August 2017 8:14 Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 3:15 PM, Richard Biener <rguenther@xxxxxxx>
wrote:

Or will it maybe turn into a repository providing multilib stuff for
x86_64 only? A first step would be to raise the minimum
architecture
level to that of x86_64, a second step would be to drop support for
running a 32bit kernel (but still allow to install a full 32bit
userland).

How many people really care for running _Tumbleweed_ on ancient
(<= i586) hardware?

We use hardware with proprietary access libraries that are only
available as 32-bit. It is not something we have control over. It can
be the latest 32-bit processor. Updating the computer is not a
problem. It's the data collection hardware that we have to live with.

If it's only a 32-bit _library_ (i.e. not kernel drivers), you shouldn't
need a full 32-bit distribution, 32-bit libraries on x86_64 distribution
should suffice.

Michal Kubeček