Re: [opensuse-factory] Tumbleweed 32-bit roadmap?

On 03/08/17 06:37, Larry Finger wrote:
On Wed, Aug 02, 2017 at 03:15:22PM +0200, Richard Biener wrote:

How many people really care for running _Tumbleweed_ on ancient
(<= i586) hardware?

I volunteer one day a week at a non-profit organization in Kansas City,
whose mission is to refurbish donated computers and sell then at low
price to low-income people. Any machines that are received with a
dual-core CPU are outfitted with Windows 10, but systems weaker than our
cutoff have Leap 42.3 put on them and are given free to the poorest people.

We recently received 4 Dell D820 laptops in extremely good condition.
The original plan was to put 32-bit Windows on them; however, they only
came with 2 GB RAM, and the machines are very picky about which RAM will
work. After quite a bit of effort, our manager gave up. As the Linux
expert in the shop, I was charged with finding a 32-bit version of Linux
for them. I really hate to even consider a rolling release for machines
going to users with little sophistication, but I see few options. As the
recipients will likely have only Windows experience. I need something on
the desktop that looks like a "Start" button. Using a VirtualBox VM for
testing, the only workable candidate is TW with an LXDE desktop.

There are really people that need 32-bit systems.

Larry

On tumbleweed you could also consider LXQt which has seen a lot of work
over the last few years. 2GB systems for web browsing are starting to
get harder though, its not uncommon for my browser to end up using 2GB
on its own. There is also the fact that browsers are now starting to
look towards dropping i586, I suspect when i586 does get dropped it will
more be because several key upstreams have dropped support rather then
something we can control.

--

Simon Lees (Simotek) http://simotek.net

SUSE Linux Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30