Aw: Re: [opensuse-factory] openSUSE BugHunting 2017
  • From: "Axel Braun" <Axel.Braun@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2017 14:02:11 +0200

Gesendet: Mittwoch, 02. August 2017 um 13:53 Uhr
Von: "Patrick Shanahan" <paka@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
An: opensuse-factory@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Betreff: Re: [opensuse-factory] openSUSE BugHunting 2017

* Carlos E. R. <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [08-02-17 06:21]:

On 2017-08-02 10:09, Michal Kubecek wrote:
On Wednesday, 2 August 2017 4:02 Basil Chupin wrote:
I have read that there are people still running 13.1, which is
one of the unsupported systems. What to do with the bugs reported
by the people who are running that particular system (-- and same
applies to the other unsupported systems in the list)?

I'm pretty sure there are, after all, I was one of them untill less
than 3 months ago. But while I'm not really a fan of burning the
bridges as soon as a distribution goes out of support (e.g. the bot
nudging people to drop build targets from their projects - in
opt-out manner to boot), I always understood that when I decide to
keep using no longer supported distribution version, I'm on my
own.

Certainly.

Yet people holding into old releases often have no option. For
instance, I keep an old laptop on 13.1 because it is 32 bit. It has an
USB bug, and obviously I don't expect a patch; I don't even ask for
it, and besides, I made my own workaround ;-)

so the "argument for" and "expectation" of support for out-of-maintenance
systems should be considered "nil" and any more conversation along this
line should cease and the fact there are unresolved and/or not
investigated bugs that do not exist in later maintained releases is
immaterial. if you choose to continue running out-of-maintenance
releases, you are doing "your own thing".

Stretching this a little more....the oldest bug in my list is confirmed against
openSUSE 11.1, but still unsolved. Last change: 22 Apr 2010.

I feel these old bugs (= before last Evergreen 13.1) should be closed
mechanically.

Objections?

Cheers
Axel