Re: [opensuse-factory] openSUSE BugHunting 2017

On 2017-08-02 05:06, Simon Lees wrote:

On 02/08/17 12:12, Basil Chupin wrote:
On 02/08/17 12:11, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
* Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> [08-01-17 22:04]: [...]
I have read that there are people still running 13.1, which
is one of the unsupported systems. What to do with the bugs
reported by the people who are running that particular system
(-- and same applies to the other unsupported systems in the
list)?
undoubtedly earlier than 13.1. but where do you draw the line?
there is only so much time in the day and only so many capable
of solving the bugs. remember that this is a "volunteer"
posiiton, not business supported product.

what do you do when you need a part for an antique car which is
out of production an no longer supported my the mfg?

it has to have a stopping point which must also consider need
and manpower.

Not a very good example using an antique car to support your
argument. One doesn't drive an antique everyday to either go to
work or to go shopping.

But the 13.1 version I mentioned is actually used in a
working/production environment in a business (I believe) -- which
is different to owning an antique car for the sake of owning an
antique.

It doesn't mean that I am blind to the fact that volunteers are
involved in "fixing" the bugs, but with the number of bugs still
"on the books" indicates that something has to be done re the
present situation.

Perhaps it needs for someone to be employed by SUSE to look after
the bugs? The bugs obviously affect openSUSE, SLE, and
Tumbleweed, all "flagships" of SUSE. There is already the
precedent for this: Richard spends some of his paid-for time on
openSUSE and Tumbelweed matters so why not have another employed
person just to do some PR work by looking after the bugs
situation?

BC

Well the community has decided with its actions to only support so
much and so far back (Evergreen tried to support more but didn't
have the manpower). At the moment the community has a clear list of
which operating systems they will support for how long, bugs
outside that time frame simply won't be fixed if for no other
reason then the infrastructure to build and package applications
for those older OS's have been switched off. So if the bug is not
likely to effect newer versions that are supported there is no
reason to keep them open.

Yet those bugs were reported when those distributions were supported,
but they were not solved. Sometimes they tried and were solved on
another release, but others they were ignored. The dates to determine
if the bug is valid re a valid release should be the time of report,
not the current time.

At least try to put some effort into it before closing with a "sorry,
unmaintained release".

Obviously a bug reported out of the time window should not be handled.

I think you'll find most of the open bugs are in packages that are
not supported by SUSE (The SUSE list of supported packages is much
smaller then openSUSE), because generally if a bug is in openSUSE
its probably also in SUSE and worth fixing for our customers and
the fix will also go to openSUSE (especially common now that Leap
exists).

Understandable :-)

From looking at who announced this I suspect a number of SUSE
employees will be contributing to the effort here and that this
post was a invitation for members of the community to join us as
well.

Yesterday I closed at least 7 and pushed another 3. ;-)
Today I don't have access to my main computer.

- --
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.