Re: [opensuse-factory] openSUSE BugHunting 2017
  • From: Michal Kubecek <mkubecek@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2017 10:09:31 +0200
On Wednesday, 2 August 2017 4:02 Basil Chupin wrote:
I have read that there are people still running 13.1, which is one of
the unsupported systems. What to do with the bugs reported by the
people who are running that particular system (-- and same applies to
the other unsupported systems in the list)?

I'm pretty sure there are, after all, I was one of them untill less than
3 months ago. But while I'm not really a fan of burning the bridges as
soon as a distribution goes out of support (e.g. the bot nudging people
to drop build targets from their projects - in opt-out manner to boot),
I always understood that when I decide to keep using no longer supported
distribution version, I'm on my own.

From the technical point of view, even if someone fixes the bug, the fix
won't be released in the form of an update anyway (of course, OBS makes
it really easy to build patched package and even create one's own
repository of such packages). Add the fact that most developers wouldn't
have a 13.1 (or even older) system for testing. In general, it would be
more useful to check if the issue persists in newer (supported) systems
and work on it only if it does.

Michal Kubeček