Re: [opensuse-factory] openSUSE BugHunting 2017
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2017 09:14:49 +0200
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2017-08-02 00:16, Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2017-08-01 23:42, Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2017-08-01 14:18, Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2017-08-01 13:34, Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

If you do that, then why should I bother to report new bugs if
nobody is going to care, even read it? :-/

Carlos, for the same reason we always have - in the vain hope a
bug
might be picked up and fixed. Having a report closed as "no
longer under maintenance" is not just "somewhat frustrating",
it is extremely frustrating, but what else do you propose we
do? Pursuing a bug for a product that cannot be updated is
pointless, but obviously the reporter is more than welcome to
reopen if the problem persists in a maintained version.

For starters, give some thought to the bug. Did somebody read
it, or was it sent to a non existing maintainer? Then send to
the current maintainer, and let him read it and decide.

I think the number of open reports alone prohibit that approach,
however nice it is.

So if the bug was sent to an incorrect destination, nobody will
see that and new bugs on that area will suffer the same fate in
another five years.

The reporter will also be notified.

But he will not have a clue what happened.

It will all be in the report?

No. We are talking here of bugs that get assigned to a person that is
no longer at the project, an email that doesn't exist, a mail list
with no subscribers. There is no way the reporter can find out what
happened, only an insider.

Hmm, maybe we are not talking about the same thing. Since 2008, I get
automatic emails with every update to reports I have created, no matter
who they are assigned to. I don't remember if that is an option I
specifically enabled somewhere.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (21.2°C)