Re: [opensuse-factory] openSUSE BugHunting 2017

On 02/08/17 12:22, Basil Chupin wrote:
On 02/08/17 11:39, Simon Lees wrote:

On 02/08/17 10:51, Basil Chupin wrote:
On 02/08/17 05:09, Carlos E. R. wrote:
I think what you arguing about is more relevant re another option which
Petr put forward, namely: "Wontfix/Feature: issue is a feature
request/or something that should not be fixed by us".

If it isn't going to be "fixed by us" then who should "fix" the problem
reported by a user?

If it is a "feature" requested by a user then to whom should the user
have reported the feature in order for it to be considered for
implementation?

In both case this is where your comment about "why bother to report
anything if it is going to dismissed out-of-hand" comes in.

BC

Hopefully there isn't too many such reports, generally good maintainers
will have sent the people to the correct place for feature requests or
if they were felling extra nice opened feature requests on there behalf
in the right place.

New features don't belong in our bugtracker in almost all cases anyway.

And here is where I have to display my ignorance and ask: Why? Why don't
"new features" belong here? Do we -- as in openSUSE, TW, and SLE -- only
follow what other distros accept or come up with and we just "follow the
pack"?

I suspect that I am misinterpreting what is meant by "new feauters don't
belong in our bugtracker" so I would be most please if this could be
explained to me -- in a private msg if required so as not to clutter up
this thread.

BC

openSUSE as a distro takes a collection of software from various
upstream sources take KDE as an example, if you would like a new feature
in KDE or Thunderbird or any one of a number of pieces of software we
ship, the new work for that feature is likely to be done by a KDE or
Thunderbird etc developer not by the openSUSE packager. The better place
for that new feature is whichever place KDE or Thunderbird ... use to
track new features not our bugtracker. There are some exceptions like
simple features related to integration with the operating system that
probably do belong in bugzilla but as a general rule in most parts of
openSUSE we try to keep as few differences with upstream as possible.

For features that are "openSUSE" features rather then features for a
specific application we have something called fate.opensuse.org,
although most things that end up there don't get worked on for the
simple fact that openSUSE is a community orginisation and you can't
force someone else to do something for you. Most new features in
openSUSE come from someone thinking it would be cool if openSUSE did
this then going and doing the work to make that happen rather then
someone posting an idea and someone else feeling like they should
implement it.

--

Simon Lees (Simotek) http://simotek.net

SUSE Linux Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30